Have you ever participated in a lemon and spoon race?
If you run fast, you drop the lemon. If you’re slow, you lose the race! It is all about maintaining that perfect balance between speed, and safety while maintaining your own footing. Indian regulatory authorities and scientific institutions have confronted a similar challenge: how to create a safe and effective vaccine against the Novel Coronavirus and at the same time, produce speedy results?
In the first episode of the the podcast series ‘Healthy Dose’, Shreya Shrivastava, Research Fellow at the Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy is in a conversation with Dr Nilima Kshirsagar National Chair Clinical Pharmacology, ICMR, New Delhi, and with Dr Dhvani Mehta, Lead, Health, and Co-founder of Vidhi to discuss how scientists and regulators deal with this conundrum.
To know more tune in to ‘Vaccines – A Lemon and Spoon Race’ the first episode of the podcast series ‘Healthy Dose’.
- Eradicating poliomyelitis: India’s journey from hyperendemic to polio-free status, T. J. John and V. M. Vashishtha
- Janani M. and N. Venkatesh D., Clinical Evaluation of Vaccines, Vol. 11(5), 1775-1780 Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research (2019)
- What is the difference between efficacy and effectiveness?, GAVI.org
- The New Drugs and Clinical Trial (‘NDCT’) Rules, 2019
- New Drugs and Clinical Trials (Amendment) Rules, 2020
- ‘Office Memorandum regarding Rapid Response Regulatory Framework for COVID-19 Vaccine Development’, Government of India
- Draft Regulatory Guidelines for Development of Vaccines with Special Consideration for COVID-19 vaccine
- How India’s regulatory pitfalls helped Covishield and Covaxin get rapid approval, Yogini Oke and Shreya Shrivastava (Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy)
- UK medicines regulator gives approval for first UK COVID-19 vaccine, Press Release by the MHRA
- New Pfizer Results: Coronavirus Vaccine Is Safe and 95% Effective, Katie Thomas, the New York Times
Concept and Script: Yogini Oke and Shreya Shrivastava
Research: Rajashri Seal
Script Editing: Akshat Agarwal
Production: Nithin Shamsudhin Design: Akhil Tom Prakash