Guide to Admissions in Elementary Schools in Karnataka
A guide to equip stakeholders with necessary information about admissions, entitlements of children and available grievance redressal processes under the current legal framework.
Vidhi’s Inclusive Education Team has prepared a ‘Guide to Admissions in Elementary Schools in Karnataka’ to equip the stakeholders – including teachers, students, parents and civil society organisations, with the necessary information about admissions, entitlements of children, and the available grievance redressal processes under the current legal framework.
The objective of this guide is to provide actionable information on the admissions process in elementary schools in Karnataka under the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009. It aims to provide information on the admission cycle in elementary schools and help stakeholders navigate legal processes in case of any violation of their right to education, with specific focus on the rights of children with disabilities.
This guide serves the following purposes:
- Provides information on the rights of children for parents of children studying in elementary schools
- Provides information to NGOs and CSOs working in the field of education to enable them to conduct
- awareness activities
- Provides a template for creating such a guide for other states
- Provides information on the duties and responsibilities of school administrators and teachers
Who can use the guide?
This guide can be used by civil society organisations as well as functionaries of the education department to raise awareness among parents, teachers and students about relevant information and procedures relating to admission cycle in Karnataka.
It can also be used as a framework by civil society organisations to develop and disseminate a similar guide in other States/UTs.
The following laws and rules are discussed in this guide:
- Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009
- Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Rules, 2010
- Karnataka Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Rules, 2012
- Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016
- Rights of Persons with Disabilities Rules, 2017
- Karnataka State Rights of Persons with Disabilities Rules, 2019
The guide is divided into the following sections:
- Basic Information about the RTE Act
- Admission Procedure and Rights
- Reservations under the RTE Act
- Transfer Certificates
- Children Belonging to Disadvantaged Groups and Weaker Sections
- Complaints and Grievance Redressal
The authors of the guide acknowledge the research assistance from Debargha, Intern at the Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy