Report Launch: Making the Digital Eco-System Disabled Friendly
Join Vidhi, I-Stem, Mission Accessibility and the H.T Parekh Foundation for the launch of the report ‘Making the Digital Eco-System Disabled Friendly: An evaluation of the accessibility of ten widely used apps in India.’ The event will take place on 13 January 2023 (Friday) from 2-6 pm, at the Bangalore International Centre, Bengaluru.
In India, while the principal disability rights law, the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, mandates that every service provider, whether government or private, must make their services disabled friendly in accordance with the rules on accessibility formulated by the Government of India, the reality is very different.
From ordering food to groceries, from finding a partner to socialising, from consulting doctors to booking flight and train tickets – technology is used for a whole range of everyday activities. This practical reality prompted us to ask the question — how disabled friendly are the most widely used apps in India?
Vidhi, I-Stem and Mission Accessibility conducted an evidence-based evaluation of the accessibility of ten of the most widely used apps in India, from the standpoint of persons with disabilities. This report contains the findings of this exercise, along with practical recommendations for what each relevant stakeholder can do to ensure that the disabled are able to participate in the digital marketplace like their able-bodied counterparts.
- RAJESH AGGARWAL, Secretary, Department of Empowerment for Persons with Disabilities, Government of India
- KARTIK SAWHNEY, Co-Founder, I-Stem,
- TURAB CHIMTHANAWALA, Mission Accessibility,
- SHANTI RAGHAVAN, Enable India,
- RAKESH PALADUGULA, Product Manager, Accessibility, Adobe
- RAHUL BAJAJ, Co-Founder, Mission Accessibility, Senior Associate Fellow, Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy and Practicing Lawyer in Delhi.