Any society that seeks to live by the rule of law must have a clear understanding of what its laws are. The proliferation of laws in modern societies can be quite overwhelming for the professional lawyer, let alone the lay citizen trying to understand her rights and obligations.
Equally, law-making in any democratic society must be accompanied by healthy and informed debate on the contours of the law and the problems which it seeks to address.
In the specific context of India, the barriers of language, education and technological reach add to the problem of lack of legal awareness. Law-making in India is largely divorced from meaningful debate, both within the Houses of Parliament and outside. Debate which does take place is ad hoc and scarcely involves active citizen participation. Additionally, a single repository and explanations of all laws is not readily available.
NYAAYA is India’s first free online portal for any person looking for the bare text of a law, understanding its implications in simple language, and being informed by and contributing to meaningful debate on law and the legal system in India. Its mission is to demystify India’s laws, as they relate to her citizens.
Call for Applications: Who are we looking for?
Currently, we are looking to build the team with people matching the following descriptions:
I. Senior Resident Fellow (Lead)
In the role of a Senior Resident Fellow, we’re looking for a person with:
- Demonstrable commitment to citizen empowerment
- Some experience leading teams/new ventures
- An all-round set of relevant skills, which may include legal knowledge, familiarity with developing technological platforms, and outreach and networking in the non-profit sector in India
- A minimum of five years of work experience
Remuneration for this position will be in the range of INR 10-12 lakh per annum.
II. Senior Resident Fellow (Technical Lead)
The Senior Resident Fellow (Technical Lead) will be responsible for the development and maintenance of the website and its content management systems. This will include some degree (~30%) of hands-on work with the website, while primarily (~70%) leading external development teams to create and manage the website.
Characteristics and qualifications we are looking for include:
- A demonstrable interest in the use of technology for citizen engagement and empowerment
- Three years of work experience, preferably in website management, or product management/equivalent role in internet or software organisations
- Experience in starting or working in new ventures will be desirable
Remuneration for this role will be commensurate with experience and with comparable organisations.
III. Research Fellow (Content Lead)
The Content Lead will be responsible for sourcing and quality-control of the legal content (laws and explainers) on the website. Her primary task will be to manage systems to ensure fast-paced content development with the help of screened volunteers, while ensuring quality and accuracy of the final content. For this role, we’re looking for a person with:
- A minimum of a graduate degree in law and three years of work experience
- A demonstrable interest in new legal ventures, particularly with respect to citizen engagement
- Fluency (particularly, in writing) in any Indian language will be considered a plus
- Previous experience with any CRM software will be desirable.
Remuneration for this role will be commensurate with experience and with comparable organisations. All those who have previously applied for the post of ‘Research Fellow (Content Lead)’ need not reapply.
The calls are for full-time positions based in Delhi. If you are interested in any of these roles, please send your CV and a brief (not more than 500 words) statement explaining your motivation to careers[at]vidhilegalpolicy.in by 15 August 2017. Please do mention the role you are applying for in the Subject Line.