Research Fellow – Law, Finance and Development
Vidhi invites applications for the post of a Research Fellow for its New Delhi Office.
The Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy is an independent think tank doing legal research and assisting the government in making better laws. Vidhi is committed to producing legal research of the highest standard with the aim of informing public debate and contributing to improved governance. Vidhi works with Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, as well as other public institutions, providing research and drafting support at various stages of law-making. Vidhi also conducts and freely disseminates independent research in areas of legal reform which it believes is critical to India’s future. Vidhi is an equal opportunity employer and neither practices nor tolerates any kind of discriminatory behaviour.
Vidhi is interested in hiring a Research Fellow for its “Law, Finance and Development” vertical. This vertical aims conducting legal research and facilitating legal reforms at the inter-section of financial regulation, corporate law and development, by providing research and drafting assistance to financial regulators and Central Government ministries, and also through independent legal research. The Fellow will primarily work on inter-disciplinary projects in the domain of financial regulation and corporate law, and will be expected to:
- Undertake high quality legal research, analysis and legislative drafting for engaged government facing projects as well as independent projects taken on by Vidhi at its own behest;
- Prepare quality reports, research notes and presentations;
- Participate in meetings with government officials and other stakeholders, for presenting Vidhi’s research work;
- Write articles, blogs and undertake dissemination of Vidhi’s research work.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in law;
- At least 2-3 years of demonstrable work experience in the domain of financial / corporate laws and regulation, access to finance, corporate governance;
- Excellent legal research, writing and drafting skills;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates with specialization in financial or corporate law at the undergraduate and / or post-graduate level;
- Experience in interacting with government officials, civil society groups, and concerned stakeholders;
- Prior experience in data gathering and empirical research methods;
- Prior publications in legal journals and newspapers.
Location and Salary
- This is a full-time position based out of New Delhi.
- The Fellow will be engaged in this position for a duration of one year, and renewal shall be subject to performance.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Interested candidates should apply through our online portal and must submit following documents merged in one document:
- Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) in not more than two A4 pages;
- A brief statement of motivation in applying for the position, in not more than 500 words;
- An original, sole-authored writing sample of not more than 1000 words with an in depth analysis on any recent legal issue in the Indian financial regulatory market or corporate law, that demonstrates the candidate’s legal analysis and writing skills;
- Names and contact details of two professional referees who may be contacted for references.
- The deadline to submit applications is March 10, 2021.
- Queries may be sent only through e-mail, titled ‘Law, Finance and Development – Application for RF’ addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.