Research Fellow (Ecology and Wildlife Policy)
The Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy is an independent think tank doing legal research and assisting the government in making better laws. Vidhi is committed to producing legal research of the highest standard with the aim of informing public debate and contributing to improved governance. Vidhi works with governments as well as other public institutions, providing research and drafting support at various stages of law-making. Vidhi also conducts and freely disseminates independent research in areas of legal reform which it believes is critical to India’s future. Vidhi is an equal opportunity employer and neither practices nor tolerates any kind of discriminatory behaviour.
Vidhi is planning to start a new centre focussing on the interface of ecology, law and policy. The fellow will primarily work on independent research projects related to legal and policy-related issues concerning the conservation of critical ecosystems and wildlife habitats. This will involve analysis and review of the key regulations related to forest and wildlife and their implementation, through an ecosystem angle. The fellow will be expected to identify gaps in the present regulatory framework as well as propose implementable legal and policy solutions to complicated ecological problems.
The fellow is expected to meet the following responsibilities:
- Undertake high-quality empirical research on the regulatory process related to forest and wildlife conservation
- Prepare academic reports, research notes, policy briefs and presentations
- Organise and participate in consultations with government officials, CSOs and other stakeholders
- Travel to remote areas and collect field information
- Postgraduate degree in any discipline with demonstrable research experience in the areas of species conservation, wildlife habitat management, landscape conservation or allied fields.
- At least 3 years of proven work experience in the domain of wildlife conservation and policy advocacy
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Basic knowledge of data analysis software, designing reports and preparing maps. Knowledge of using MS Word, MS Excel and Google Earth must.
- Some experience of working in or around wildlife habitats
- Experience in interacting with government officials, civil society groups, and concerned stakeholders;
- Prior experience in empirical research methods and socio-economic work on conservation;
- Prior experience in the critique of government orders, approvals and impact assessment reports
- Prior publications relevant to the subject (eg. articles in peer-reviewed academic journals, newspaper, magazines, reports etc.)
- Knowledge of GIS software (eg. ArcGIS/QGIS) will be added advantage, but not necessary
Location and Salary
- This is a full-time position based out of Delhi
- The fellow will be engaged in this position for a duration of 6 months initially, and renewal shall be subject to performance.
- Compensation will be between Rs 80,000/-to 1,00,000/- per month commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Why join Vidhi?
Vidhi is one of the most influential policy research think tanks in India. It operates on the collegium work model which propagates a free and creative environment for all researchers. The fellows get to interact with individuals working on different areas of policy and law-making which gives a unique opportunity to discuss and develop a multi-disciplinary and practical approach towards any research problem. Some of the research topics Vidhi is presently involved include subjects like health, education, land and property rights, sanitation, judicial reform, constitution, urban governance, corporate law, tax, gender and sexuality to name a few. Vidhi is committed to supporting an individual’s professional growth by providing fellows with the ownership of their work and opportunities to explore original ideas.
Interested candidates should apply through our online portal and must submit following documents merged in one document:
- Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) in not more than three A4 pages;
- An original writing sample (700-5,000 words) with an in-depth analysis of any recent ecological issue, that demonstrates the candidate’s analysis and writing skills (Any singularly authored publication not older than a year is also acceptable)
- A brief statement of motivation in applying for the position, in not more than 500 words
- Names and contact details of two professional referees who may be contacted for references.
The deadline to submit applications is 25 December 2020.
Queries may be sent only through e-mail, titled ‘Application for Research Fellow-Ecology’ addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.