Research Fellow, ALTR
Vidhi is an independent think-tank doing legal research to make better laws and improve governance for the public good. Vidhi is committed to producing legal research of the highest standard with the aim of informing public debate and contributing to improved governance. Vidhi works with Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, as well as other public institutions, providing research and drafting support at various stages of law-making. Vidhi also conducts and freely disseminates independent research in areas of legal reform which it believes is critical to India’s future.
Vidhi is an equal opportunity employer and neither practices, nor tolerates any kind of discriminatory behaviour.
Vidhi is looking for a Research Fellow for its interdisciplinary research work and engagements on legal and policy issues emerging from leveraging technology for the public good in India (and the global south). Our work focuses on three broad areas of law and policy with respect to tech innovation and adoption in India:
- General information technologygovernance for in India;
- Data governance frameworks; and
- AI ethics and governance of AI with an India-centric approach.
Through our work, Vidhi aims to provide robust and independent research evidence on these prominent discourses within the tech policy space, currently of great interest for policymakers. This in turn is to further our institutional goal of improving governance through better informed and well drafted laws and policies.
To advance this objective, the Research Fellow will be expected to:
- undertake high quality research (both doctrinal and empirical) on Indian and international legal and policy frameworks on the aforementioned issues;
- prepare reports, research notes and presentations;
- coordinate and attend meetings with government officials, academics, researchers and other stakeholders; and
- organize and attend consultations with key stakeholders for informing and disseminating Vidhi’s research.
You can access ALTR’s ongoing work here.
Applicants must meet the following requirements
- an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in law, public policy, social science research, or any other pertinent field
- 0-3 years of work experience (a master’s degree will be counted as one year of work experience)
- good research and writing skills
- excellent communication skills
Applicants who meet the following requirements will be preferred
- Prior experience of working and publishing on critical issues emanating from the law, policy and technology intersection.
- Prior experience of undertaking empirical research within the law, policy and technology domain.
LOCATION AND SALARY
- This is a full-time position based out of New Delhi.
- The Fellow will be engaged in this position for a duration of one year, and renewal shall be subject to performance.
- Salary will be commensurate to the level of skills and experience.
Interested candidates should apply through our online portal and must submit following documents merged in one document:
- Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) in not more than three A4 pages.
- An original writing sample of not more than 1000 words with an in-depth analysis on any recent legal issue pertaining to any of the aforementioned themes, demonstrating the candidate’s legal analysis and writing skills.
- A brief statement of motivation in applying for the position, in not more than 500 words
- Names and contact details of two professional referees who may be contacted for references
The deadline to submit applications is 31 January 2021.
Queries may be sent only through e-mail titled ‘ALTR: Application for Research Fellow’, addressed to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.