Milon K. Banerji Fellow, Charkha (2021-22)
Vidhi invites applications for the post of the Milon K. Banerji Fellow for the year 2021-22 for Charkha, at Vidhi’s Delhi office. The Fellowship has been instituted in the name of Late Mr. Milon K. Banerji, Former Attorney General for India, and made possible by the generous support of Mr. Gourab Banerji, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India.
Charkha is Vidhi’s research centre dedicated to constitutional law, and it aims to take the Constitution to all relevant stakeholders, and create an environment of sustained constitutional law research. We believe that legal researchers and constitutional scholars must act as trustees of the Constitution, spreading its contents and taking it to the people. In that spirit, Charkha’s research addresses crucial aspects about the interpretation of the Constitution; the role of concerned authorities in the implementation of its provisions; and the true meaning and import of the provisions of the Constitution for ordinary citizens. Charkha also aims at fostering research and scholarship on under-explored themes under the Constitution as well as themes which are expected to emerge as socially and politically relevant in the near future.
Vidhi is interested in hiring the Milon K. Banerji Fellow who will work out of Vidhi’s Delhi office. The Fellow will primarily work on projects in the domain of Constitutional law, and will be expected to:
- Undertake high quality legal and academic research;
- Prepare quality reports, research notes and presentations;
- Participate in meetings with concerned stakeholders, for presenting Vidhi’s research work;
- Coordinate ongoing programmes under Charkha and discharge related administrative duties;
- Ideate and conceptualise new projects under Charkha.
Eligibility, location and salary
- Undergraduate degree in law;
- At least 2-3 years of demonstrable work experience in the domain of legal research;
- Excellent legal research and writing/drafting skills;
- Excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Postgraduate degree in Law;
- Experience in interacting with government officials, civil society groups, and concerned stakeholders;
- Prior publications in legal journals and newspapers.
Location and Salary:
- This is a full-time position based out of Delhi (the Fellow will work remotely till further notice).
- The Fellow will be engaged in this position for a duration of one year, and renewal shall be subject to performance.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should apply via the link below and must submit following documents merged in one document:
- Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) in not more than two A4 pages;
- An original writing sample of not more than 1000 words with an in-depth analysis on any constitutional law issue, that demonstrates the candidate’s legal analysis and writing skills;
- A brief statement of motivation in applying for the position, in not more than 500 words;
- Names and contact details of two professional referees who may be contacted for references.
The deadline to submit applications is 10 December 2020. The selected candidate will be expected to join from 1 January 2020.
Queries may be sent only through email, titled ‘Vidhi Delhi – Application for Milon K. Banerji Fellow’ addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.